You may not have been aware that short term medical insurance (STMI) policies exist (if so, see this page for an explanation of STMI), but did you know you can get them at any time of year, even on very short notice?
Short term policies can cost as little as $20 a month to $400 a month for an individual and $250 a month to $1,000 a month for a family. In general, younger people pay less. And typically, higher deductible means a lower premium. You can also want to select a plan that can be dropped at any time, for example, if you get a job that provides coverage.
- $21.90/Month for a Short Term Medical Value plan for unmarried female 18-24, non-smoker, ZIP code 493–, $10,000 deductible, 70/30 coinsurance.
- $185.10 a month for a Short Term Medical Value plan for a man, age 55-60, non-smoker, Zip code 300–. $5,000 deductible, 75/25 coinsurance.
Providers of Short Term Health Insurance Policies
Short term medical insurance is regulated under both federal an d state regulations, so while there are national providers (listed below) you will need to see their state affiliate for details. Their websites will guide you to the right page.
Blue Cross / Blue Shield / Anthem
- BCBS Short Term Medical Sales Brochure
- BCBS Short Term Medical Summary of Benefits
- BCBS Short Term Medical Enrollment Application
United HealthCare / GoldenRule
Through Golden Rule Insurance Company, which became part of UnitedHealthcare in 2003, we have been in the personal insurance business more than 70 years and have offered a Short Term insurance product for over 30 years.
HCC Life Short Term Medical (STM) is temporary health insurance for individuals younger than 65 looking for coverage for themselves or their families during life’s many transitions. With an HCC Life STM® policy, you choose how the coverage fits your needs or the needs of your family. You select the deductible, coinsurance, and length of coverage so you know that you have prepared if an unexpected medical circumstance arises. Advantages of HCC Life Short Term Medical:
- Fast Enrollment Process
- No Application Fee
- No Out-of-Network Penalties
- Low Copay at Urgent Care Centers10-Day Money Back Guarantee
You may have seen Assurant Health listed on other websites (which are not kept current). They’ve shut down. Assurant Health is no longer accepting telephone calls as they continue with their announced business closure. All inquiries must be submitted in writing to PO Box 624, Milwaukee, WI 53201-0624.