The “Affordable” Care Act or ACA, commonly known as “ObamaCare” has not turned out to be affordable for many Americans, certainly not anyone who does not receive a subsidy. And if you don’t get insurance through your employer, then you have experienced ever-higher premiums, high deductibles and difficulty in finding, getting and affording medical care.
This website is designed to help you find the best options available, at any time of the year, regardless of your circumstances. So, don’t give up hope, there are some ways you can get affordable healthcare that are legal and will not subject you to an IRS tax penalty.
So, take a deep breath and we’ll walk you through the options available in April 2017!
Pick your situation below by clicking on your category of employment:
- Employed at a job that offers health insurance plans?
- Self-employed or your employer does not offer health insurance?
- Poor ?
- Age 65 or older, disabled or have End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)?.
Explanations of types of insurance
For an understanding of each type of insurance, see these pages:
- Employer-supplied health insurance
- Obamacare / Healthcare.gov or your state exchange
- Medicare (over 65)
- Short-term medical insurance
- Catastrophic medical insurance
How to choose an insurance plan
How you select your plan depends upon which type of plan(s) you are subject to:
- How to select employer-provided plans
- How to select a plan on Healthcare.gov or your state marketplace
- How to choose a plan direct from the insurance companies
- How to choose Medicare and Medicare supplement plans
ObamaCare, (aka, “The Affordable Care Act”, HealthCare.gov, The Marketplace)
We’ve boiled down the thousands of pages of the law and rule (we read the rule after they passed it…) and here is the condensed version:
- Obamacare Basic Requirements and Facts
- Exemptions to requirements
- Open enrollment and Special enrollment periods
- How to estimate your income to determine eligibility for subsidies
Examples and Comparisons of Health Insurance Plans
- 27 year old female
- 35 year old male
- 45 year old female
- 59 year old male
- Family of 4 (45 year old male, 40 year old female, 1 son, 1 daughter, both under 26 years old)